1. Listen carefully when others are speaking. Keep your mouth shut – and focus totally on them.
2. Never, ever talk over other people. This is disrespectful – and a real turn off.
3. Even if the person leaves an hour between each word, resist the temptation to complete their sentence for them.
4. Don’t interrupt - let the other person finish. Then, acknowledge what they’ve shared before adding your own thoughts.
5. Paraphrase or summarize what’s just been shared. It shows that you have listened – and are keen to understand.
6. Maintain good eye contact as this says you’re interested, and the speaker and their story are important to you.